Using and Managing Data and Information November cohort (2020 – 2021)
BA3020QA – Assignment 3 – RESIT
Note to students:
There are FIVE tasks and you are expected to complete all of them. You are required to transfer the work of all tasks on to a single wordprocessed MS Word file and upload it on Turnitin, which is the submission of this assignment. The deadline for this assignment is (Thursday 21st October 2021 before 3pm).
Task 1 (25 Marks)
A supermarket manager wanted to investigate the profile of shoppers resistant to the use of self-checkout counters available at the store he manages and to find out the reasons behind their resistance. He asks three of his staff to conduct a survey among customers using the store in Sheffield Hallam area during a quiet working day in October of 2019 as they exited the store.
The short questionnaire used for the survey as well as the data collected can be found on an Excel file named “SCC”. There are two worksheets, one for the questionnaire used and the other worksheet for the raw data collected from the customers. The data worksheet has 18 columns. Column A “Customer” is simply a column to identify the customer surveyed – Customer 1, Customer 2 etc… Each of the other 17 columns refer to a question – Column B refers to the gender question, Column C refers to the age question etc…
The manager has employed you as data analyst to conduct this investigation.
Your analysis should use the statistical facilities on Excel as required below.
1. Label (show 5 rows) the codes for the categories of the following variables:
• Are you a regular user of self-checkout
2. Produce frequency and percentage frequency tables (using Pivot tables) for each of the following variables:
• SCC user
• Spending (£) For this last quantitative variable, the categories should be as follows:
3. Draw the graphical representation for each of the following variables:
• Education (Pie chart)
• Age (Bar chart)
• Spending (Histogram) using the following categories:
• Spending (Box and whisker) graph
4. Consider now the variable “Spending (£)”. • Calculate the minimum, maximum, median, quartiles and the mean average statistics (show Excel formulas).
The tasks and all their requirements should be clearly separated (preferably each task starts on a separate page). All variables should be clearly named and their correct categories clearly labelled. Graphs should be appropriate and correctly labelled and each of them on the same page. Any calculations should be clearly presented and explained.
Task 2 (20
A plumber has decided to use the techniques of project management in order to plan a job. He knew all the different activities of the job, their precedence and their average durations. They are shown on the table below.
Activity Duration (days) Preceding activities
A 3 None
B 3 None
C 4 A
D 8 A
E 2 B and C
1. Draw a network diagram representing the sequence of activities and the dependence between them.
2. Determine how long it will take to complete the job by conducting the forward pass
3. By conducting the backward pass, identify the critical path and the noncritical path(s).
The work for this task should be produced using Word drawing facilities. The forward and backward passes should be clearly shown on the diagram. The calculations should be shown next to the network diagram.
Task 3 (25
The quarterly sales figures for the number of shoes (pairs) sold at a shoe shop is shown on the table below. Enter the following data into Excel.
Year Quarter Sales
2017 1 139
2018 1 145
2019 1 150
2020 1 156
Required (using Excel):
1. Draw a line graph to represent the sales figures.
2. Show formulas and calculate the moving averages.
3. Show formulas and calculate the centre moving averages.
4. Present the original sales data and the trend of sales figures on the same line graph.
Task 4 (15
The following information relates to the probability of two different managers selecting a salesperson for a job:
Probability of Manager Toni choosing a Salesperson is 0.5
Probability of Manager Joe choosing a Salesperson is 0.4
Over the last 10 working days, Manager Toni has worked for 6 days and Manager Joe worked 4 days. Only one manager works in a day.
Build a Tree diagram to show the probabilities of a Salesperson being selected.
Show the different branches of the Tree diagram with all the calculations. Include in the Tree diagram the overall probabilities. Calculate the probability of the Salesperson.
The work for this task should be produced using Word drawing facilities.
Task 5 (15 Marks)
A small cheese maker specialises in two types of cheese – Brie and Gouda that he makes and sells in packets of 400 grams. The cheese maker has estimated that each packet of Brie uses 1.8 litres of special milk and 100 grams of special salt. For the Gouda cheese packet, the amounts of special milk and salt needed are 1.2 litre and 150 grams respectively. The cheese maker has a limited supply of special milk and salt and a maximum of only 120 litres of milk and 12000 grams of salt is made available each week. Once produced and sold, the Brie packet returns a £4.50 profit and £3 profit for the Gouda cheese.
1. Enter the information on the table below into an Excel file. You should also show an appropriate formula for “Total profit” and quantity “Used” for each of the “milk” and “salt” resource in the cells as indicated below.
Packet Brie Gouda
Quantity 0 0 Total Profit
(£) 4.5 3 Insert formula
Used Symbol Max
number Insert formula 120
Salt (grams) Insert
number Insert formula 12000
2. Find the solution of the linear programming problem (using Excel Solver)
3. State the production of each type of cheese that yield maximum profit.
- Assignment status: Already Solved By Our Experts
- (USA, AUS, UK & CA PhD. Writers)
- CLICK HERE TO GET A PROFESSIONAL WRITER TO WORK ON THIS PAPER AND OTHER SIMILAR PAPERS, GET A NON PLAGIARIZED PAPER FROM OUR EXPERTS